Wednesday 30 July 2014

Mastectomy: one week on



I am, apparently, healing up well from my mastectomy one week ago. I can do the exercises up to shoulder height, although it still causes pain along the bottom of my upper arm like a muscle stretch. 

At my one week check, they removed all the dressings which was initially alarming - I couldn't believe that it could be okay to leave my livid scar uncovered.  But I am much more comfortable without the itchy, constraining bandages.  Last night, I managed to sleep on my left side for the first time.

I keep being surprised by the scar now that it is uncovered.  I unbutton my top in the bathroom and see it again, as if for the first time.  The scar looks like a mouth that has opened, swallowed my breast in one gulp, and closed tight shut again, the faintest of smiles on its puckered lips. 


No comments:

Post a Comment